Thursday, December 20, 2007

Well worth reading

When I arrived at my office this morning, I found an e-mail from Polly with a link to "Handmade 2.0," a New York Times article about Etsy. I clicked over and was at first dismayed because it's long--seven screenloads. But as soon as I started reading, I was captured.

Rob Walker, the writer, does a superb job of describing not only Etsy but also the booming handmade culture, its sources, and its politics. He manages to articulate what those of us in this movement have sensed but have struggled to describe to our friends and families. Now, when someone asks me what it means to be an Art YaYa or an Etsian, I'm going to point to this article.

The piece may be highlighted on Etsy. I don't know--the holiday season has kept me away from the Etsy forums and The Storque for the past several weeks. So if you've already read it, I'd love to have your comments. And if you haven't, go check it out and come back and tell me what you think.

Thank you so much for the heads-up, Polly!

No comments: