Friday, December 21, 2007

Font yourself

A message came across the YaYa list today from Kimberly, pointing us to a cool thing: Fontifier. I found this site from the links on Tim Holtz's blog early this month and, like Kimberly, I immediately got caught up in the possibilities. And then I forgot about it. (My Mom says, "My brain is too full. When I put something new in it, something old falls out." Evidently it's genetic; the same thing happens to me.) Anyway, thank you Kimberly for bringing it up!

Fontifier is a site where you can create a custom font. One possibility is to turn your own handwriting into a font that you can then use like any other font in your word processing program. I've been getting what appear to be handwritten notes from financial advisors and others seeking my business. Smart--I do actually open mail that appears to be hand-addressed to me. Now I know how they're doing it. They've Fontified themselves.

Even more interesting to me is the possibility of creating my own eccentric font. Or lots of them. Each font costs only $9.00!! According to Fontifier's home page, all you have to do is print out a template sheet, write your characters on the template, scan and save the template, upload the scan, pay for the font, and then download and install it. Can it really be that easy? For $9.00, I've got to find out. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: