Thursday, February 7, 2008

Shoppes on Woodlawn

I lived in the Hillcrest neighborhood of Little Rock when I was 3 to 8 years old. I lived there again in the late 1970s. And Codie and I lived there for 4 or 5 years before I bought my current home in Maumelle. I have a soft spot for Hillcrest.

A new AREtsy introduced herself to the e-mail list this week, and she mentioned that she and a friend have a "shoppe" in Hillcrest. It turns out that one of my favorite old houses--a big blue Dutch colonial at the corner of Beechwood and Woodlawn--has been converted into co-op shop space. The last time I was in that building (years ago), it was an antique store. I can see how it would lend itself well to a collection of small artisan-type shops.

The first Thursday of each month, all of the shops in Hillcrest have an open house. Folks are welcome to browse around, have a glass of wine and a bite of cheese, get to know the shops and their owners. Several central Arkansas AREtsies were hoping to show up in Hillcrest tonight to celebrate this event and show support for our new sister; however, we've gotten involved in a last-minute opportunity to participate in a craft show associated with my church's annual regional women's conference. So it looks as if it will be March before I can report on the fun first hand.

In the meantime, go check out the shoppes' developing web site.

2 comments:

idyll hands said...

That sounds fun. *pouts* I want to go.

Denise Felton said...

Come on down, girlfriend! I've got a spare room.