Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Odd and ends

Here's what's odd:

Annie and I joke constantly about hoarding. We both love to buy art supplies in mass quantities, partly to get a really low unit price and partly so we have plenty on hand, just in case. If we buy just one or a few sheets of some beautiful patterned paper, for example, we can't use it. What if another project comes up where it would be even more perfect and we don't have it on hand anymore? My profile even says something about how my little house is tipping under the weight of the useless stuff I hoard just in case I need it for a collage.

Well, I subscribe to Google Alerts, which tells me when I'm mentioned in any web article anywhere, pretty much. I get an e-mail almost every day because my own blog posts trigger alerts. I also get alerts when some odd combination of other people's names adds up to my name. Yesterday, I opened an alert expecting to see a summary of my latest post. Instead, here's what it said:

Google Blogs Alert for: denise felton
Help for HoardersBy Denise Lee(Denise Lee) The Messies Manual by Sandra Felton has provided help for many people. Overcoming Compulsive Hoarding: Why You Save and How You Can Stop by Fugen Neziroglu, Ph.D., Jerome Bubrick, Ph.D., and Jose A. Yaryura-Tobias, Ph. ...- http://clear-spaces.blogspot.com/

I snort-laughed so hard, I choked. And I immediately forwarded it to Annie. It's a serious article about a serious disorder, but I couldn't help reading every sentence as if it were referring to our craft-aholism. If you hoard craft supplies, too, you've got to go read it.

And here are the ends:

Jonathan stopped by my house on his way to work this morning to drop off the machine that forms the basis of our Eggshibition entry. It is so freakin awesome. JW is a genius; and I'm pretty darned smart for talking him into teaming up with me this year. I can't wait to show you what we're up to, but it's top secret until we deliver it to Youth Home.

And speaking of Eggshibition...My friend and fellow YaYa, Stacie Hooder, has been an Eggshibition great for years now. In fact, she's the one who came up with an idea that integrated Jonathan's machine with the Eggshibition theme for this year. I think her name belongs on our entry, too! Anyway, this morning I was asking about her entry, and she told me she'd posted a photo on her blog. We sit, like, four feet apart all day as the crow flies, and I didn't know she had a blog. Go look! It's called What can I say? and it's good. And if you forget how to find your way back there, you can click the link in the right-hand column of this page.

4 comments:

Junque Rethunque said...

oh hoarding! I'm only a youngster in this in terms of smallish things that I'll use in my collages, but already I'm finding myself wanting to buy stuff that might be cool before I've even MADE A COLLAGE!!! I do have piles of furniture waiting to be repurposed in my business with my mom... I have a lot to do... why am I sitting here????

idyll hands said...

Ah - I'm glad Punkinhead posted here. I was going to call her out and say that you aren't alone, my sister is a hoarder. But it's gonna make her and my mom rich one day... furniture hoarding that is.

My hoarding problem comes with clothes. If one shirt is on sale, I can't leave the store with out 3 or 4 (or 6) in various colors.

It's a problem I have.

Ekio Locatiare said...

Uh...guilty here too. I mean I have a bunch of scrap booking supplies I bought years ago when it became "hot" and I worked at Michaels. Yeah....the only scrap booking I've ever done is the beginning of both my boys baby books. *laughs* But I can't get rid of it! I might need it ^-^

Lisa_in_AR said...

Wonder if that book has a chapter on dryer lint????
Stacie has a blog??? She's been holding out on us. Gotta check it out pronto!
Lisa