Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A new obsession: It's binding

So, I have a new obsession: I bought a coil-binding machine. I've seen some wonderful applications on Etsy. ivylanedesigns and kateblack, in particular, are making terrific coilbound books. In fact, there's so much coil binding going on at Etsy, the market may be saturated. So I don't know that I'm going to try to sell books there, but they're definitely in the queue for making relatives' Christmas gifts. Is it possible to come up with an original idea? I don't know. But pulling down the handle and winding in the coil makes me so happy that being original isn't even necessary. And, hey...they may be everywhere on Etsy, but they may not be in my B&M shops yet. I'll have to check that out.

When Annie pointed out ivylanedesigns' work to me yesterday--books with covers made from old cereal boxes and (my favorite) tampon containers--I realized now I can never throw ANYTHING away. I might as well just stop parking in my garage and let the "art supplies" pile up. Anne said she's going to walk her neighborhood on recycling day and pick through all her neighbors' cast-off boxes. And then we're going to meet for a binding orgy.

My first little effort on Etsy hasn't attracted any attention. But I'm not letting that stop me. I've got the mind to bind!

No comments: