Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Last weekend

Well, I'm just running around like a headless chicken and getting nothing posted. So here's some catch-up.

Anne and I went to the second (last) session of our screen printing class last Saturday. There were some challenges: The photo bulb burned out, and the impromptu replacement (a heat lamp bulb) behaved a bit unpredictably. As a result, Anne had trouble getting her screen to rinse. She ended up going ninja on it with a high-pressure hose, soaking her clothes and her hair along the way. It was worth the effort, though. Her design rocked! I learned some tough lessons about how easy it is to smear an inkjet transparency; but my design ended up turning out okay, too. I printed up some focals for Father's Day cards with metallic acrylic paints. I like them!

Screen printing has opened up a whole new world for us. Last night, we were brainstorming on the phone about applications. And one of our favorite topics: alternative supplies. Would embroidery hoops work for small pieces? What fabrics would make good screens? A big, new addition to our bags of tricks.

I also got started on Addie's duds. So far, I've completed this outfit.

The little hat and I fought for two days. I said swear words that baby clothes should never be exposed to. When I started cutting another hat last night for a different outfit, I noticed what I did wrong. The crown pieces have only a 1/4" seam allowance. I used the usual 5/8" and the pieces went together perfectly. But that's why they didn't want to fit onto the brim. The next hat should be much easier. And it should fit better.

On to the next thing--a wrap dress from the ricracky-looking print...with polka-dot bloomers. This is so fun.

P.S. My first set of mini art quilts is posted in my Etsy shop. Go see!

5 comments:

Stacie Hoo said...

Precious! I can't wait to see Addie dolled up in this!

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

Adorable Addie outfit! When my sister in law had me doing a couple for her, I managed to get the hat done, but got stuck on that darn continuous lap thing!

Love the screen printing! It sounds like it was a fun class.

Off to look at the quilt!

Anonymous said...

Hello there, you make me green with envy.. a screen printing class. Wow I'd love that. I love your little girl clothes.. how cute. Lovely blog x

Lisa_in_AR said...

Too cute! Love the little outfit! The mini art quilts are fabulous!!

Anne said...

Daaaang, woman! Go ahead and pack this post full of beautiful projects, why don't you?? I saw your "dad" focals on Saturday, of course, and they are striking! And I've also seen the mini-quilt trio and your photos just don't do them justice. They're so... sparkly, and rich, and vibrant.