Monday, March 24, 2008

This week's Etsy artist: sugarfoot

Which of these words is not like the others: young, hip, plus-sized? That was a trick question, because at this Etsy shop, you can get all three.

Kelly Lewis, aka sugarfoot, fills her shop with rock-oriented custom tops that are cool, trendy, and well-fitting, whether your figure is willowy or luxurious.

“I love Etsy!” Kelly says. “And I find my best seller is my plus-size clothing. Being a curvy girl, I know that cute, comfy clothing is hard to find. I dream of being able to quit my day job and sew again. But for right now, Etsy is my sewing fix. I have had an Etsy shop for just a little over a year, and I just sold my 190th shirt!"

Kelly says she has always been crafty, oil painting in her youth and learning to sew on her grandmother’s treadle sewing machine.

“When my daughter was born,” she says, “I decided to quit my job and stay at home with her. I soon realized that I couldn't afford to buy her all the cute things I wanted to, so I started sewing. I took her old things apart at the seams and just went crazy! I not only made everything she wore, but also I turned my sewing into a profitable at-home business that I called Sugarfoot, which was my father’s nickname for me.

“I sold on line and in local stores,” she continues, “and I was featured on two local news channels and in several local newspapers. But I found myself in my PJs for days, sewing from sun up to sun down, so eventually I went back to the real world and to work.”

Kelly didn’t stop sewing, though.

“My daughter inspired me to sew again!” she says. “She has always been my biggest expense and inspiration! When she was 12 she was taller than most kids her age and played bass guitar in a rock-n-roll band. So I started making her funky rock-n-roll shirts long enough to cover her tummy, and I haven't stopped since! She is now 6 feet tall and plays basketball and volleyball and is still growing!”

Kelly’s shop also includes the occasional funky headband, baby outfit, or other unusual item. And all of her items are shipped in handmade fabric gift bags.

Kelly lives in Farmington, Arkansas. She’s married and, in addition to her 14-year-old daughter, she has a 22-year-old son. She’s an active member of AREtsy, the Arkansas Etsy street team; and she has a second Etsy shop, Rock Child, where you can grab wonderful destashed fabrics.

6 comments:

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

Super interview [as always]. Love the history behind the 'Sugarfoot'.

Anne said...

Thanks for another well-written AREtsy artist feature! Your articles are teaching me so much about our little group.

And I love, love, love Sugarfoot's reconstructed tees!!!

idyll hands said...

I'm so glad she's been featured! I love her shop. However, I don't think I've ever paid attention that she's in Farmington - we're neighbors!

SUGARFOOT said...

Thanks so very much for featuring me! I feel very lucky to live in Arkansas and be in the company of some many artistic ladies! Thanks!

Junque Rethunque said...

Go Sugarfoot! That's a nickname my dad used for me too, but Punkinhead was the most-often used. :)

We need to get our sewing selves and rock-n-roll daughters together soon!

Tizzalicious said...

I'm so glad I found your blog, I love this shop!