Thursday, February 21, 2008

Stiletto hits the heights

I just checked in for a second on Etsy's home page to see the parade of featured art. It's always wonderful, and it changes several times a day. Right now, it's Magritte-themed art. Very cool.

Anyway, I always tend to glance at the featured artist on the home page, too. I like to see what those hip Etsy admins think is hot. What a nice surprise to see one of my favorite Etsy discoveries in that slot: Jennifer Gordon aka stilettoheights.

I fell in love with her work on, like, the first day I ever cruised Etsy. In particular, I love her series of collages on graduated blocks. You can stack and rotate the blocks, making the art ever-changing and interactive. Brilliant!


The article is great--first-person responses to Etsy's standard questions. She is just as lively and funny and interesting as her work. You can read the article here. And I was excited to find that she has a blog. I'm adding it to my read-it-often list.

One sad revelation upon reading her remarks: I can't be stilettoheights when I grow up. Because she's young enough to be my daughter. *sigh*

2 comments:

Junque Rethunque said...

I try not to think about the years that have passed when I could have been doing art and expressing myself creatively... and how the years that have passed remind me that I don't have as many as I'd like left.

On the flip side, it's just encouragement to make every moment count!!!

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

Well said Punkinhead! Age is a minor technicallity of life. It's life that counts. So, you can still be stilletoheights when you grow up Denise.