Friday, February 1, 2008

Cracklin' February

Happy February! What a great month. There's Valentine's Day, of course, not to mention Ground Hog Day. This GHD promises to be a winner: Scrapbook Corner is having a "garage sale." And the AREtsies are having a meet-n-greet. I'm really looking forward to both events.

Tim Holtz has posted his February technique challenge. I'm loving his grungeboard, but I haven't gotten to play with it as much as I'd like, yet. In this challenge, he paints grungeboard with his distress crackle paints. Oooooo, yeah. I bought a few of the crackle paints, but I haven't had much luck with them, so far. I can't get them to crackle very much. His technique tute gave me some insight into why. I'm being too stingy; I need to slop it on. He also notes that, if the paint doesn't crackle enough to suit you, you can hit it with the heat gun. I wish I were at home so I could run into the studio and try that. I love crackly stuff.

Feburary is also the month of Mardi Gras. My friend Joy Weigt turns 30 on Valentine's Day. (If she's like me, it will be ten years before she realizes what a tender young thing she was at 30.) Her husband (my buddy Jonathan) is throwing a Mardi Gras party in honor of the event, and Joy called me and asked if I'd make her a mask for the event. Yes! She makes me feel so smart and proud. It's my first mask ever, and I struggled with it for a while, but I think I've got it goin' on, now. Lots of stitching and sequins and rhinestones, of course. After Joy sees it, I'll post it.

Annie, Miss O, and I are scheduled for a weekend at Scarlett's in Fort Smith. Girlie time! Scarlett has promised to introduce us to northwest Arkansas shopping. Anyone want to bet how much of the weekend will be spent at fabric centers?!

And there will be a February YaYa day at Janna's house later on. YaYa days always make me happy. And since we'll be focusing on the Jennifer Project this month, this one should be especially rewarding. (If you'd like to know more about Jennifer Nelson, whom we honor with this project, please go see her mom's blog.)

Come on, February!!!

3 comments:

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

Not as much will be spend at the fabric stores---I won't be there! :-) Probably a good thing. Another good thing about February is Worthington Israel Wentworth will turn 1 year old on the 25th. Excellent post Denise. Your blog is one of my favorites to read. Oh, wanted to ask, could you use any feathers in browns, yellows, and greys in your crafts?

Denise Felton said...

Feathers would be wonderful, Julie Anne! Thank you!

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

Fantastic! I've got a few and I'll bring them with me on the 5th--my kids are molting :-)