Sunday, November 4, 2007

This week's Etsy artist: D. Loreen Devlin

Tell Santa you want a doll for Christmas. Not just any doll, but an art doll from the hands of D. Loreen Devlin.

Devlin’s work can be located on line under several names: Shindig Shop, Bugtussle Village, Bubble People. It’s all the work of the same talented artist. Devlin says:

"I suppose I've been an artist to one degree or another since I was a child. I've had no formal arts education (unfortunately, I think) but the school of trial and error has some good points about its curriculum and it's probably more in keeping with my nature.

"I have to admit that my approach is a rather desultory one. I jump from paint to clay and from fabrics back to paint and so on, but there seems to be some sort of stylistic thread which connects them all.

"I've always been fascinated with dolls and I always seem to have some kind of doll project going on either inside or outside my head. If people like my stuff, that's great and if they don't that's OK, too, because I'll be doing it anyway! That's all, really..."

How could anyone not like Devlin’s portrayals of natural and social themes in goddess form. And she makes fascinating, whimsical bags, too. You can check out her work at
http://theshindigshop.etsy.com/
https://www.artistsites.org/BugtussleVillage/
http://bugtusslevillage.wordpress.com/

Devlin’s husband, Nick, created this haiku—his take on her approach to art:

A crow,

jumping around

in the autumn sun

Devlin is based in Little Rock, and she’s an active member of AREtsy, the Arkansas Etsy street team. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing her work in publications like Art Doll Quarterly some time soon.

No comments: