Friday, October 26, 2007

Stacie got my boobs

The EDS Arkansas Title XIX Account--my employer--had a silent auction this week in support of the Komen Foundation. I donated a small piece, scared that it would make my butt look really big. (See Annie's blog for an explanation of why we think putting our art out there is like asking, "Does this make my butt look big?") What if no one bid on it? Aaaaghhhh.

Stacie Hooder saved me from humiliation with the winning bid. I'm doubly proud because Stacie is an amazing artist. I steal ideas from her every chance I get, and I wish my brain worked like hers. And she bought MY stuff. Wow.

Here's the collage. It's about 8x8--a little one. The background is paper flowers over specialty paper. The frame holds two sheets of glass about an inch apart, which gives the work a little more dimension. The focal image is from a 1920s medical encyclopedia--an exemplar of female physical fitness. The legend is cut from the same book: "Women can be cured of cancer of the breast." The silver breasts are a milagro--a prayer symbol. Milagro is Spanish for "miracle," so the little metal breasts are a prayer for a miracle of healing for breasts.

I like this piece, and I'm so glad it didn't end up an orphan. Thank you, Stacie!

No comments: